Taking the RIDE RIGHT pledge is an essential step in ensuring the safety of all bicyclists, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider. By committing to the ten pillars of safety, you are not only protecting yourself, but also those around you. Bicycling safety is everyone’s responsibility, and taking the pledge is a concrete way to demonstrate your commitment to that responsibility. So join the thousands of bicyclists across the country who have taken the pledge and made safety a top priority.
As a responsible and safety-conscious bicyclist, I pledge to uphold the ten pillars of RIDE RIGHT:
- I will make sure that my bike is in good condition before riding, including checking brakes, tires, and other equipment.
- I will wear the right gear, including a helmet and high-visibility clothing, to increase my visibility and protect myself in the event of an accident.
- I will communicate effectively with others on the road, using hand signals, eye contact, and clear verbal commands.
- I will ride with the flow of traffic, following all traffic laws and using designated bike lanes and paths whenever possible.
- I will respect the legal rights of others on the road, including pedestrians and motorists.
- I will maintain a positive frame of mind, remaining calm and alert at all times.
- I will develop my riding abilities through regular practice and training.
- I will cultivate a positive attitude towards sharing the road with others, respecting their right to be there and treating them with kindness and consideration.
- I will pay close attention to my surroundings at all times, avoiding distractions such as cell phones or music players.
- I will take care of myself both physically and mentally, staying healthy and strong so that I can ride safely and confidently.
By taking this pledge, I am committing to being a responsible and safety-conscious bicyclist, and to promoting the goals of the RIDE RIGHT program in my community and beyond.